19 February 2013

Offseason Predictions: Offense

You asked, and shall receive. I was questioned about the positional needs of the Seahawks and a recommendation or possibility of picks in this years draft.

The biggest problem I have with it is my ignorance of salary cap and disregard for such. I like to go into Madden mode, turn off cap, and sign every free agent to an unnecessary and unwarranted contract just so my team can be the best. With that in mind, as I go through each position, I will talk about the year in review, the state of the position, what I would like to see happen in draft and free agency, and what I believe will actually happen. With all that said, let's start with the offense!

Quarterback:
Year in Review: The NFL was lucky enough to watch the emergence of Russell Wilson, and the Seahawks fans were lucky enough to profit from it. As I've talked about before, there has never been a quarterback as electric as Wilson has been in Seattle, and that causes plenty of praise. The guy ties the NFL rookie touchdowns for a regular season with 26, and actually beat the record with a total of 29 including the playoffs (Payton Manning didn't reach the playoffs his rookie year.) The acquisition of Matt Flynn caused great excitement in Seattle, and his demotion caused a bit of controversy until Wilson turned it on later in the season. Both very good quarterbacks, I would even argue that Seattle has the Strongest 1-2 quarterback system in the league.

State of Position: Wilson and Flynn are both signed long term, which is great. The only debate is whether or not Seattle tries to get rid of Flynn. He makes $7.5 million next year, and it can be argued that Seattle can use those funds for adding a free agent later on. I don't see Seattle shipping Flynn off unless they are able to get a good enough deal for him. Read HERE for more information.

What I Would Like to See: Honestly depends on the situation. If they keep Flynn, I would like to see absolutely nothing change. This is a great group and it would be stupid to change it. If Flynn leaves, I would like to see the Hawks add Matt Barkley, as his stock continues to fall after a sub-par senior year. Pete Carroll has stated how much he likes Barkley, and if Seattle were to draft a QB, I would like to see it be him. If they don't draft Barkley, I wouldn't mind seeing them sign free agent Josh Johnson, a competent back up who is only 2 years older than Wilson, just as fast, and has a good arm.

What I Plan on Seeing: If Matt Barkley falls in the draft, don't be surprised to see Seattle pick him up. If not, I would be surprised if they draft a rookie quarterback. Free agency looks to be the biggest idea, but only if Flynn leaves.

Running Backs/ Fullbacks:
Year in Review: Having one of the best running backs in the league doesn't hurt (Man, I'm able to say most Seahawks are the best at their position.. so cool.) Marshawn Lynch was able to rush for 1590 yards this season, good for third best in the league. NOTE: Adrian Peterson doesn't really count as a person, the dude is a machine, and Washington's Alfred Morris, while good, benefited from running with RGIII. Rookie Robert Turbin showed glimpses of being Seattle's future running back and was able to take a decent amount of the load, keeping Lynch fresher later in the season. Leon Washington, although listed as a RB, is much more of a returner than back. Didn't record a carry this season. Fullback Michael Robinson is not only a fan favorite, but lead the way for Lynch to have the year he had. Dangerous on third down, very athletic.

State of Position: Lynch's health is concerning, as it's always listed as a back injury. He might not have missed much of the year, but back injuries on a running back that looks for contact can be pretty bad. Hoping for a good offseason to heal up and return healthy. As I stated above in the review, Seattle is in great position. No player becomes a free agent, and all should be returning for the 2012 season.

What I Would Like to See: Absolutely nothing. No draft prospect or free agent excites me enough to hope for them to come to Seattle. I do, however, hope that Lynch is able to get healthy and come back stronger for next year.

What I Plan to See: Nothing here in terms of free agency and the draft. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Wide Receivers/ Tight Ends:
Year in Review: Coming from the team that signed Terrell Owens and Braylon Edwards last offseason, Seattle was able to have a strong showing from the WR corps. Sidney Rice was finally able to stay healthy for a full year and was able to solidify his #1 spot on the depth chart. Golden Tate finally showed sparks of what he was in Notre Dame, a playmaker with the ability to run after the catch. Doug Baldwin caught fire as Wilson did in the middle of the year after his injury. Jermaine Kearse was able to get some snaps towards the end of the season and showed that with some more time, he too can be a legitimate NFL WR. As for tight ends, the only two worth mentioning in terms of production are Zach Miller (good game against ATL, huh?) and Anthony McCoy.

State of Position: The only free agents are WR Deon Butler, signed in week 17, and TE Cameron Morrah. Next year will be a make or break year for Baldwin and Tate, and Rice will need to prove that he can go more than one full year totally healthy. Zach Miller is getting older, so the need for another good receiving tight end is a must. McCoy needs to prove that he can be the answer.

What I Would Like to See: I would like to see Seattle pick up both a WR and TE in either the draft or free agency. Folks would like to see Percy Harvin or Mike Wallace signed as free agent WRs, but I don't see their cost being worth what they will be able to produce. Neither player will play well enough to justify such a ridiculous amount of cash on a team that is not in dire need of a WR. Instead, seeing that the Chiefs just released Steve Breaston, I wouldn't mind the Hawks pursuing him. He's still relatively young at 29, great hands, and I remember watching him at Michigan (Yeah so what if I was a freshman in high school, it counts!) In terms of TE, I would be ecstatic is San Fran didn't resign Delanie Walker. The guy is a tough blocker, faster than snot, and runs great routes. If they choose to draft, I would like to see Stanford TE Zach Erte. Dude can catch and block. Oh, and Tony Gonzalez would be cool too. And Gronk.

What I Plan on Seeing: It wouldn't surprise me to see Erte drafted by Seattle. A WR that would be a good pick for Seattle in the draft would be Deandre Hopkins from Clemson. Fast, big, and can make plays. If we pick up a free agent WR, I don't think it will be a HUGE name like Wallace or Harvin, but a name more like Breaston. Coach Carroll has a knack for picking up players that might not be the best in the world and making them great. If San Fran doesn't resign Delanie Walker, I would be surprised if he signed anywhere but Seattle.

Offensive Line:
Year in Review: If you play Madden a lot, you would assume Seattle has one of the worst O-Lines in the league, which simply isn't true. We had two pro-bowlers in Russell Okung and Max Unger. We had the emergence of Breno Giacomini as one of the meanest linemen in the game. J.R. Sweezy, John Moffitt, Paul McQuistan, and James Carpenter all played a good amount of snaps this year. Look at how the offense played. This line blocked for a 1590 yard rusher and a QB who threw for 29 touchdowns. Not too shabby.

State of Position: No free agents this year, which is always a good thing. Russell Okung and Max Unger both finally showed why they deserved high draft picks, and I see them only improving as long as they stay healthy. Giacomini sure would be better liked if the late whistles on him stopped, but it's hard to argue against a guy who few people want to line up against. Sweezy, Moffitt, Carpenter, and McQuistan all need to improve in the offseason. Whether it was injury or lack of playing time, this offseason for these players will say a lot about how well the Seahawks will play next year.

What I Would Like to See: Can we get Walter Jones and Steve Hutchinson back, circa 2005? Huh, we can't? Bummer. Well in that case, I would just like to see improvements from the above mentioned so there can be more flow and trust on the line.

What I Plan on Seeing: I don't see Seattle picking up any free agent linemen to start for them, so no big splashes here. We might see them pick up one later on in the draft, but much bigger holes need to be filled in the draft.


PHEW. And that was only the offense. Next post I will focus on our beloved defense and what I hope to see them do in the draft.

Mariner fans, don't despair! I will start focusing on the M's as the season progresses and big news surfaces. Until then, Go Hawks!

No comments:

Post a Comment