17 February 2013

Matt Flynn, Mariners Prediction

At quick glance, it might seem that this blog is more football biased than anything. While it is say to say that currently there is more for me to say on the Hawks than the Mariners, the baseball news will increase drastically as the season begins. Plus, I'm just way too excited for the next football season due to the Hawks impressive run last year. So sue me!

One of the biggest offseason questions for the Seahawks will be QB Matt Flynn. Should Seattle cut him, trade him, or keep him?
Poor Flynn. Going from the "Savior" of the Seahawks following his 3 year $19.5 million signing, with $10 million guaranteed. Instead, some guy named Russell Wilson took the spot, and the rest is history. If Seattle were to keep him, they would owe Flynn $7.5 million of their cap room, and if they somehow get rid of him, they will still owe $4 million in cap. Granted, he's a backup, but Flynn has proved time and time again throughout camp, the preseason, and practices that he's a very talented player. Keeping him wouldn't make too much sense, as backups shouldn't make 3 times the starter makes, but he would be arguably the best back up available.
Instead, trading Flynn would make the most sense. With former Defensive Coordinator Gus Bradley leaving to head coach for the Jaguars, it seems plausible that Jacksonville might be a possible spot. If not, the New York Jets might (as the days go on, I see this chance falling and falling) take a chance at trading for Flynn. They hired former Seahawks VP John Idzik and he knows how good Flynn has been.
While the debate rages, I personally want him to stay. If, knock on wood, something were to happen to RW3, Flynn is more than capable of coming in and doing good work. While money is a premium, I see the Seahawks entertaining offers for Flynn, and if he leaves, possibly drafting a quarterback to follow Russ.

Regarding my previous post about the possibility of signing Percy Harvin, I have read an interesting and very possible trade including Matt Flynn for Harvin. It makes sense with Christian Ponder's struggles in Minnesota on top of Harvin's distaste for the quarterback. (UPDATE) Of course after I post, I read on scout.com that Vikings GM Rick Spielman stated in a press conference:
“We have no intent of trading Percy Harvin. Percy Harvin is under contract and we expect him, just like all of our players under contract, to be here." Welp, there goes my idea!

Now for my beloved Mariners.

How about a season prediction?! Let's see how I do at the end of the year.
2012 Seattle Mariners, 4th Place AL West (75-87)

Notable Acquisitions: 1B Kendry Morales, 1B Mike Jacobs, 2B Robert Andino, C Kelly Shoppach, OF Raul Ibanez, OF Jason Bay, OF Michael Morse, P Joe Saunders, P Jeremy Bonderman, P Jon Garland.
I would be much more excited for Bay, Ibanez, Bonderman, Saunders, and Garland if this were like five years ago. While Seattle is really good at getting players out of their prime, I can see Ibanez or Bay filling in to the DH spot and making a decent impact (moreso for Ibanez than Bay..) Morse and Morales are both underrated bats that can come in and do some damage, especially with the treacherous Safeco walls coming in.

Notable Losses: Utility Chone Figgins, OF Trayvon Robinson, C John Jaso, C Miguel Olivo, P Jason Vargas, P George Sherrill, P Shawn Kelley, P Kevin Millwood.
I'm not too sad about losing these players. Chone Figgins needed to be gone years ago. Vargas was good, but the upside we can get with Morales is definitely worth the trade, seeing how Seattle has a top 3 farm system and arguably the best pitching farm system. Jaso was one of my favorite Mariners last year, so seeing him leave was a bit of a bummer.

Overall, Seattle didn't make nearly the splash in free-agency that the fans have desperately wanted to see. Instead, they are drafting and molding players in their farm systems. It's a good way, but it needs to be proven this year or next. If Seattle struggles again, we could see an entire organizational reshuffle... again. Kyle Seager was a bright spot last year, and he needs to keep up the hot bat to keep this team competitive. Ackley, Montero, and Smoak are all going to be under extreme scrutiny this year after the last few ones. Ackley struggled mightly, but I wouldn't be surprised to see his upside show and improvements at the plate happen. Poor Smoak, the dude was traded for Cliff Lee. Yes, that Cliff Lee. He needs to show what the Mariners saw in him a few years ago to stay on this team. 
In terms of pitching, it all starts and ends with King Felix Hernandez. If Felix gets hurts, the season is basically over, (Show me a player that means more to his organization.) If he's healthy, Seattle can continue their pitching successes.

My prediction for 2013.
For the first time since 2009 and fourth since 2003, the Seattle Mariners are going to have a winning record. Now, before y'all crucify me, realize that in 2002 they won 93 games and ended up third. The AL West is arguably the most competitive league in baseball, and it will show. I see the Angels doing what they did last year, spend a lot and not make the playoffs. The Rangers will be interesting, as they have lost a good chunk of what has made them so successful over the last few years. The A's are always going to be a tough opponent, but I don't see them surprising teams like they did last year. The Astros... Wait a second, I forgot we have the Astros in the AL West now! GOODBYE last place! The 'stros are the 'stros. Can't wait to play them.
In a perfect world where Seattle stays healthy, the players play to their potential (I'm dreaming aren't I?), and the rest of the league does what I think it will do, the Mariners can end up with a winning record. I don't predict playoffs, but I definitely see them competing for the next couple of years.
2013 Mariners Prediction: 3rd Place AL West (85-77).

As with always, love my Mariners, love my Seahawks, and love my Seattle.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete